Eating breakfast makes a difference in how your brain performs for the entire day.
Breakfast is helpful because it:
- Provides necessary energy for the brain and body
- Maintains weight and helps with weight loss
- Stabilizes blood sugar
- Decreases cravings for sugary foods
- Improves concentration and mood
- Clears brain fog
It is a great opportunity to eat 1-2 servings of vegetables with a frittata, omelet or vegetable hash. Although I think smoothies can be nutritious, I believe that chewing increases enzyme production and improves digestion which is important for the 1st meal of the day. Pay attention to your sugar and fruit consumption first thing in the morning because these can cause a “sugar crash” making you feel that you need a nap, a big cup of coffee or crave more carbohydrates within a couple of hours.
Some Healthy Breakfast ideas:
- Plain Greek Yogurt, berries, nuts (to sweeten- drizzle with honey)
- Avocado toast (egg, cheese and hot sauce optional)
- Eggs with vegetables/omelet (include greens)
- Hard-boiled egg/s
- Nut butter with whole grain, sprouted and/or seed bread (ie: Food for Life and Dave’s Killer Bread)
- Oatmeal, quinoa, teff or chia porridge with nuts and berries